Thursday, July 7, 2016

Sweet Plum Pickle



Cooking has been always my passion since childhood. Now this passion has become an obsession. That's blogging journey began 2 years back with great enthusiasm and I couldn't have done it without the love and support from my family and wonderful friends. 


I am always obsessed with making jams, chutneys and pickles with the backyard fruits that no one likes to eat in our house. I am a foodie at heart and I try not to waste any food as long as it is edible that I learned from my ma.  




We have plum trees in the backyard loaded with beautiful purple skin and orange flesh plums. They are slightly tart. I am not sure what variety they are. They are good for jams, chutneys and pickles. 


Chutneys and sweet pickle are almost same except for the consistency. Chutneys are usually runny where pickle is spreadable. Basically Indian sweet pickle is more like chunky or smooth, tangy and sweet spiced jam without the pectin. 


Today I am sharing an oil free Sweet Plum Pickle recipe flavored with the roasted ground five seed spice blend (called panch phoron in Bengali), cumin and coriander and dry red chili. I normally make chutney with these plums which is delicious too! 

Ingredients~
8 cups skinned plum pulp(keep the pits)
4 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. roasted ground five spice powder
1 tsp roasted ground cumin powder
1/4 tsp. roasted ground coriander powder
1 tsp. or more roasted ground dry red chili
1/2 tsp salt
  
Time~
1 hour

Method~ 
Take a heavy bottomed 4 quart sauce pan. Add in plums, salt and sugar. Cook on high heat until sugar dissolves.

When it comes to a full rolling boil reduce the heat on medium low and bring to a simmer for 40 to 50 minutes stirring occasionally. Let it thicken until reduced by half . Turn off the heat. Season with the roasted ground spices.

Let it cool completely and transfer in a sterilized glass container. It will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to one month. This lip smacking pickle can be savored with any Indian meal or on its own. 

 

2 comments: