Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Noakhalir Badam Shorshe Shorputi/ River Barb Fish Curry with Peanut Mustard Gravy


Cooking is always ritual to me, whether I cook for my family or friends. It is never boring or tedious for me. I enjoy cooking to the core and I cook till I drop. My cooking spirit inspired me toward blogging journey six years back that I never dreamed and of course some of my family members and friends encouraged me a lot as well. It's been a great blogging journey since then; cooking, taking pictures of food I make for family and friends, writing recipes and last but not least meeting people through my cooking. I appreciate everyone who loves my cooking style, tries my recipes and supports me continuously.  It's a happy place for me and I relieve stress through cooking and blogging; a true pleasure that gives me positive vibes and keeps me busy. Today I am sharing an heirloom recipe.  

This fish curry belongs to both of my grand parent's native land Noyakhali, in erstwhile East Bengal, now Bangladesh. The coastal area of  Bangladesh has many lakes, ponds, rivers and Bay of  Bengal where fish is abundant; hence fish and rice is staple for most people there. My grandparents from both sides migrated to West Bengal during partition, maintained the same food habit of their district and passed down to their children. So I grew up eating mostly Noyakhali type foods and I love our culinary tradition that I learned from Ma.


My parents, all uncles and almost all aunties belonged to this particular district left this earth and some heirloom recipes slipped away from us. I wish I could get my hands on all of their recipes before they passed away. Now I am eager to rediscover lost recipes through our relatives. There are variety of fish recipes prepared in Bengali households and among them with mustard paste is a very common preparations and it varies from district to district. I got this recipe from my Mamee (maternal uncle's wife) as My Mama (maternal uncle) taught her most of our heirloom recipes. This is slightly different. The flavor in this fish curry is enhanced with spicy kick of freshly ground mustard paste and the nutty flavor of roasted peanut paste. The end result is an amazing creamy mustard peanut fish curry and it's very simple to follow.  

Ingredients~
2 shorputi , 14 oz. (river barb/tinfoil barb fish), cleaned ,gutted and scored slightly twice each side
1/4 cup raw peanuts
2 tsp fresh mustard paste
4 fresh hot chilies
1/3 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
3 tbsp mustard oil
1 cup water
A few coriander leaves

Method~
Smear the fish pieces with little salt and turmeric powder and keep aside. Save 1 tsp oil. Heat remaining mustard oil in a medium pan over medium heat and fry peanuts to light brown color. Remove from the heat and fry the fish pieces until nice golden brown. Keep aside.

Grind roasted peanuts to a smooth paste using little water. Add mustard paste and peanut paste in the same oil. Saute for a few minutes. Add in remaining turmeric powder, salt, fresh chilies and water. Bring it the boil. Add fish pieces. Let it simmer till 5-6 minutes on low flame with the lid on. The gravy should be a medium thick consistency. Taste and adjust salt and spice balance. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with plain steamed rice.

Happy Cooking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment